The 5th edition of ICC T20 world Cup has started in Bangladesh from March 16, 2014.With the inclusion of new teams in the tournament, the event is expected to be the most thrilling one of its kind. While hoping for many records to be broken and many more to be created, let’s have a quick glimpse at some of the most interesting facts of previous four editions.
· Team Pakistan is the most successful team so far in T20 mega events. They were runner up in 2007, champions in 2009 and Semi finalists in 2010 and 2012.
· Sri Lanka holds the record of highest team total in a T20 world cup match. They scored a huge 260/6 against Kenya in 2007.
· Ireland has the record of lowest ever total in a T20 world cup match, getting all-out on just 68 runs against West Indies in 2010.
· Sri Lanka is the unique team having both records of winning by highest margin and losing by the biggest margin; they won against Kenya in 2007 by 172 runs and lost to Australia in 2007 by 10 wickets.
· Highest successful run chase in the world cup T20 is by South Africa against West Indies – chased the target of 205 runs in 2007.
· Mahela Jayewardene is the highest scorer in World T20. He scored 858 at the average of 40.85 with fabulous strike rate of 136.
· The record of most number of wickets in word cups belongs to Lasith Malinga; 33 wickets in previous 4 events.
· The first hat-trick of World Cup was taken by Brett lee against Bangladesh in 2007 T20 world cup.
· Yuvraj Singh is the only man to hit 6 consecutive sixes in one over of Stuart Broad in 2007. He also holds the record of fastest fifty in a world cup with his brilliant knock of just 12 balls.
· West Indies conceded the most number of extra runs (28 extras) in their T20 World Cup 2007 match against South Africa at Johannesburg.
· Ajantha Mendis has an exceptional bowling figure of 6 for 8 in a T20 world cup game against Zimbabwe in 2012.
· The record of hitting most number of sixes belongs to Chris Gayle. He has hit 43 sixes till now.
· Chris Gayle, West Indies (117 runs) is the only person to score a century in a T20 World Cup match. This was against South Africa.
· Shahid Afridi holds a very strange record in World Cup T20 for having scored most ducks (5) in the tournament.
· India’s Rohit Sharma has the best batting average of 55.00 in T20 world cups.
· Most number of catches behind the stumps has been taken by Pakistan’s Kamran Akmal; 24 till now.
· South Africa’s AB De Villiers has the record of most catches taken as a fielder in T20 world cups; a total of 16 in number.
· Gayle and Smith scored 145 runs in partnership for the 1st wicket against South Africa – the highest partnership for any wicket in a T20 world cup game.