Explained, Messi is not better than Ronaldo as stated by Maradona
Football since 2008 have seen only two players at the helm of all awards. Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have dominated all football awards. The topic of which of these players’ is the best of all time is always argued and the argument always is not settle. Recently, Diego Maradona Mar ado in the Argentine legend and arguably the best player of all time have added his opinion to the ever growing debate of Ronaldo and Messi who is the best among the the two players. Speaking to the Marca Newspaper on 13 November after the Pope Francis peace game, Maradona stated that Messi is not better than Ronaldo and Ronaldo is better than Messi. Maradona a fellow Argentine to Messi was expected to declare that Messi is better than Ronaldo but he spoke according to facts and statistics. Many are accusing Maradona that he has hatred for Lionel Messi as they say he does not want Messi to achieve.
In this article, SportsGoogly will discuss the fact and basics behind Diego Maradona’s statements made that Messi and Ronaldo are equal in performance. Currently majority of football fans loves enjoying Messi and his trickily skills but according to the facts and statistics does it represent same. Messi and Ronaldo are two players with distinct qualities and playing positions but the similarities between these two players is that all of them are all playing in the La Liga and have similar statistics. The main question SportsGoogly is asking is that, Is Messi better than Ronaldo?
Lionel Messi have spent the whole of his club football in the La Liga with Fc Barcelona. Messi played his first La Liga season in the 2004-05 season at age 17. He played only 7 La Liga matches with just a goal. Messi had a full taste of the La Liga in the 2006-07 season which he scored 14 goals in 26 appearances.
The impact of Ronaldo on Messi’s performance:
Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival in the La Liga made Messi a better player. Until Ronaldo arrived in Spain Messi had never scored 30 goals a season in the La Liga before but he did scored 34 goals in 35 appearances in the La Liga 2009-10 season. Ever since Ronaldo arrived in the La Liga Messi scores at least 28 goals a season. In conclusion the rivalry between Messi and Ronaldo has made Messi a better player.
Cristiano Ronaldo joined the La Liga as FIFA world player of the year 2008. With his fine form he netted 26 goals in 29 appearances for Real Madrid in his first season that is 2009-10 season. Since the 2009-10 La Liga season, Ronaldo have scored more than 30 goals a season. Currently Ronaldo is the second all-time top scorer in the La Liga with 261 goals in 237 appearances.
The Comparison: Messi and Ronaldo in La Liga.
Ronaldo joined the La Liga in the 2009-10 season so I am going to start my analysis from the 2009-10 season.
- In 2009-10 season, Messi had 35 appearances with 34 goals and Ronaldo had 29 appearances with 26 goals.
- In 2010-11 season, Messi had 33 appearances with 31 goals and Ronaldo had 34 appearances with 40 goals.
- In 2011-12 season, Messi had 37 appearances with 50 goals and Ronaldo had 38 appearances with 48 goals.
- In 2012-13 season, Messi had 32 appearances with 46 goals and Ronaldo had 34 appearances with 34 goals.
- In 2013-14 season, Messi had 31 appearances with 28 goals and Ronaldo had 30 appearances with 31 goals.
- In 2014-15 season, Messi had 38 appearances with 43 goals and Ronaldo had 35 appearances 48 goals.
- In 2015-16 season, Messi had 33 appearances with 26 goals and Ronaldo had 36 appearances with 35 goals.
In all since 2009-10 up to 2015-16 La Liga seasons, Lionel Messi have scored 258 goals in 239 appearances which means his scoring accuracy is 107.9% and Ronaldo have scored 260 goals in 236 appearances which means his scoring accuracy is 110.2%
Analytically taking the scoring accuracy of both players, Ronaldo is clearly a better attacking player than Messi.
Records of Ronaldo’s attacking supremacy are;
• Most hat-tricks of all time in La Liga history 30.
• Fastest to score 20 league goals in a single season: 12 games.
• Fastest to score 150 league goals: 140 games.
• Fastest to score 200 league goals.
• Fastest to score 250 league goals.
In conclusion Cristiano Ronaldo is the only player in the La Liga who has scored more than 200 goals with a scoring accuracy of 110.2%. No player in the Spanish La liga has achieved that success. According to the statistics and facts, Ronaldo is the best ever offensive player who has played in the La liga.
Comparison in Champions League:
In the champions league we began the comparison from the 2007-08 to the 2015-16. Both players entered the light in the 2007-08.
- In 2007-08, Messi made 9 appearances with 6 goals with scoring accuracy of 67% and Ronaldo made 11 appearances with 8 goals with scoring accuracy of 73%.
- In 2008-09, Messi made 12 appearances with 9 goals with scoring accuracy of 75% and Ronaldo made 12 appearances with 4 goals with scoring accuracy of 33%
- In 2009-10, Messi made 11 appearances with 8 goals and scoring accuracy of 73% and Ronaldo made 6 appearances with 7 goals with scoring accuracy of 117%
- In 2010-11, Messi made 13 appearances with 12 goals with scoring accuracy of 93% and Ronaldo made 12 appearances with 6 goals with scoring accuracy of 50%
- In 2011-12, Messi made 11 appearances with 14 goals with a scoring accuracy of 127% and Ronaldo made 10 appearances with 10 goals which is 100% accuracy.
- In 2012-13, Messi made 11 appearances with 8 goals with scoring accuracy of 73% and Ronaldo made 12 appearances with 12 goals which is 100% scoring accuracy.
- In 2013-14, Messi made 7 appearances with 8 goals with a scoring accuracy of 114% and Ronaldo made 11 appearances with 17 goals which is 155% in scoring accuracy.
- In 2014-15, Messi made 13 appearances with 10 goals with 77% scoring accuracy and Ronaldo made 12 appearances with 10 goals which is 83% in scoring accuracy.
- In 2015-16, Messi made 7 appearances with 6 goals with 86% scoring accuracy and Ronaldo made 12 appearances with 16 goals with a scoring accuracy of 133%
In conclusion, Messi have made 94 appearances with 81 goals and scoring accuracy of 86% while Ronaldo have made 98 appearances with 90 goals and 92% scoring accuracy. So since 2007 up to 2016, Ronaldo have clearly demonstrated that he is better than Messi in the Champions league.
Performance at National Teams
In total Messi have played 114 games for Argentina with 56 goals and scoring accuracy of 49%. Ronaldo at Portugal have made 135 appearances with 66 goals and 49% scoring accuracy. At national teams, both Messi and Ronaldo are tired at 49% scoring accuracy so they are equal at national teams.
Concluding, Maradona have made his statement that Messi and Ronaldo are equal but do you agree or disagree with him? The statistics and analysis have being delivered to you. Your comments are welcomed so Messi and Ronaldo who is the best player of all time.