The 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, known as the Total Africa Cup of Nations, Gabon 2017 or CAN 2017 is scheduled to be the 31st edition of the African Cup of Nations, the biennial international men’s football championship of Africa organized by the Confederations of African Football(CAF). The tournament was scheduled to be hosted by Libya, until CAF rescinded its hosting rights in August 2014 due to ongoing war in the country The tournament is instead being hosted by Gabon. This event is also part of the Africa Cup of Nations 60th Anniversary.
The champion will qualify for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia.The competition is sanctioned by the Confederation of African Football(CAF), and was first held in 1957. Since
1968, it has been held every two years. The origin of the African Nations Cup dates from June 1956, when the creation of the Confederation of African Football was proposed during the third FIFA congress in Lisbon . There were immediate plans for a continental tournament to be held and, in February 1957, the first African Cup of Nations was held in Khartoum, Sudan. For sponsorship reasons the 31st edition of the African Cup of Nations is called the Total CAN.
The Gabon 2017 tournament started on the 14 January with amazing opening ceremony follwed by the opening game. So far, the minos or the underdogs have surprised the pundits with some fantastic performances.
Here are the upcoming matches and the matches played according to the groups;
1. Guinea Bissau 1 point.
2. Gabon 1 point.
3. Cameron 1 point.
4. Burkina Faso 1 point.
Gabon 1-1 Guinea Bissau.
Burkina Faso 1-1 Cameroon.
18 Jan: Gabon vs Burkina Faso.
18 Jan: Cameroon vs Guinea Bissau
21 Jan: Cameroon vs Gabon
21 Jan: Guinea Bissau vs Burkina Faso.
1. Senegal 3 points
2. Zimbabwe 1 point
3. Algeria 1 points
4. Tunisia 0 points
Algeria 2-2 Zimbabwe
Tunisia 0-2 Senegal.
19 Jan: Algeria vs Tunisia
19 Jan: Senegal vs Zimbabwe
23 Jan: Senegal vs Algeria
23 Jan: Zimbabwe vs Tunisia
1. DR Congo 3 points
2. Togo 1 point
3. Ivory Coast 1 point
4. Morocco 0 points
Ivory Coast 0-0 Togo
DR Congo 1-0 Morocco
20 Jan: Ivory Coast vs DR Congo
20 Jan: Morocco vs Togo
24 Jan: Morocco vs Ivory Coast
24 Jan: Togo vs DR Congo
17 Jan: Ghana vs Uganda
17 Jan: Mali vs Egypt
21 Jan: Ghana vs Mali
21 Jan: Egypt vs Uganda
25 Jan: Uganda vs Mali
25 Jan: Egypt vs Ghana
1. Riyad Mahrez(Algeria): 2 goals
Players with 1 goal.
• Kudakwashe Mahachi(Zimbabwe)
• Nyasha Mushekwi(Zimbabwe)
• Kara Mbodji(Senegal)
• Sadio Mane(Senegal)
• Juary Soares(Guinea Bissau)
• Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang(Gabon)
• Junior Kabananga(DR Congo)
• Benjamin Moukandjo(Cameroon)
• Issoufou Dayo(Burkina Faso).
The quarter finals will precede the groups states. The quarter finals is scheduled on 28 and 29 January. The semi finals will also be played on 1 and 2 February. The third and fourth game will also be played on 4 February. The competition is scheduled to end on 5 February 2017with the final game.
The competition is being played in four cities of Gabon; Libreville(40,000 capacity stadium), Port-Genti l(20,000 capacity stadium), Franceville (22,000 capacity stadium) and Oyem (20,000 capacity stadium).
Here are all previous winners of the African Cup of Nations;
• Egypt have won the African Cup of Nations on 7 occasions(1957, 1959, 1986, 1998, 2006, 2008, 2010.
• Egypt have being runners up once, only in 1962.
• Egypt have won the bronze medal at the African Cup of Nations on 3 occasions(1963, 1970, 1974)
• Ghana have won at African Cup on 4 occasions(1963, 1965, 1978, 1982)
• Ghana being to 5 finals of the African Cup of Nations without winning it. These were in the 1968, 1970, 1992, 2010 and 2015.
• Ghana only won bronze at the 2008 African Cup of Nations which it hosted.
• Cameroon have also won the African Cup of Nations on 4 occasions(1984, 1988, 2000, 2002)
• In 1986 and 2008, Cameroon won the silver medal at the African Cup of Nations.
• Cameroon have been bronze winners only once, 1972.
• Nigeria won the African Cup of Nations in 1980, 1994 and most recently 2013.
• Nigeria have been runners up on 4 occasions(1984, 1988 and 2000)
• Bronze medal is Nigeria’s most love position in the African Cup, Nigeria have won 7 bronze medals(1976, 1978, 1992, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010)
Note: Nigeria did not qualify for Gabon 2017.
• The Ivory Coast have won the African Cup on two occasions(1992, 2015)
• In 2006 and 2012, Ivory Coast were runners up in the African Cup of Nations.
• Ivory Coast have placed third on 4 occasions(1965, 1968, 1986, 1994) in the African Cup of Nations.
• Congo DR won the African Cup of Nations in 1968 and 1974. The DRC have never lost a final game in the African Cup of Nations.
• DR Congo have won the bronze medal on 2 occasions(1998 and 2015)
The Following Countries have won the African Cup of Nations Once.
Zambia(2012), Tunisia(2004), Sudan(1970), Algeria(1990), Morocco(1976), Ethiopia(1962), South Africa(1996), and Congo(1972).